From New Brunswick, Canada:

My 14 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago. I also have an 11 year old daughter, and I worry she may also get type 1. What tests can be done to see if she will develop diabetes? How accurate are they? Do you recommend siblings be tested?

The DPT-1 is an NIH sponsored study for relatives of people with type 1 diabetes. The screening test is for islet cell antibodies and is free. The test is accurate, however not everyone who gets type 1 has antibodies.

I strongly recommend that siblings be tested since they have a 5% chance of developing type 1, which is 20 times higher than in the general population.

There are DPT-1 sites in Canada. Please refer to the DPT-1 website for more information.