Question:

From New Brunswick, Canada:

My 14 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago. I also have an 11 year old daughter, and I worry she may also get type 1. What tests can be done to see if she will develop diabetes? How accurate are they? Do you recommend siblings be tested?

Answer:

The DPT-1 is an NIH sponsored study for relatives of people with type 1 diabetes. The screening test is for islet cell antibodies and is free. The test is accurate, however not everyone who gets type 1 has antibodies.

I strongly recommend that siblings be tested since they have a 5% chance of developing type 1, which is 20 times higher than in the general population.

There are DPT-1 sites in Canada. Please refer to the DPT-1 website for more information.

HVS