Question:

From Brogue, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 35 year old sister has been told (or at least she tells us she has been told ) that she has "brittle diabetes." She smokes marijuana regularly, abuses alcohol and mind-altering prescription drugs. Will this exacerbate the condition? She frequently passes out. One time during one of these "pass out" sessions, my father, a pharmacist, gave her a Diet Coke. I felt he was testing her. She "came around" after drinking the Diet Coke. What is your opinion on this case?

Answer:

It sounds like there are some major problems here with substance abuse. Clearly, a Diet Coke would not turn her blood sugars around. Does she take insulin? If so, she needs to be participating in the treatment and monitoring of her condition. If she is abusing these substances, she is clearly not able to participate in her care. Either way, it sounds like your sister is in need of medical care for these problems.

Posted to Behavior