Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

My seven year old son is having some problems at school. He can't seem to sit still. His teacher thinks it could be a food allergy. He is allergic to wheat. My family doctor has recommended a glucagon-free diet. I know that glucagon has to do with the sugar in the body. Does this mean that he could have diabetes?

Answer:

I am thinking your doctor is recommending a gluten free diet which is a protein found in wheat, rye, oats and barley. Sometimes eliminating these foods (which is a great many of the cereal and baked products) for a while his symptoms may improve. Glucagon is not a food product and is not present in the foods we eat.

JM

[Editor's comment: Call your son's doctor and doublecheck what the doctor really was suggesting. If you're still concerned, ask for a referral to a pediatrician who's familiar with food allergies. Then, ask either of the doctors for a referral to a dietitian to help you and your son (and the rest of your family!) to get the meal plan right, so that the teacher's theory can be checked out. WWQ]