From a physician in Tampa, Florida, USA:

My 22 month old son has been on insulin for three weeks. He seems to be going into a remission (honeymoon). Are there any cases of total and permanent remission?

Children with neonatal diabetes do frequently remit and sometimes even are cured, but 22 months is really too old for that. Frequently, we see a need for very little insulin for quite a while until the pancreas is destroyed. You are in Tampa right where Shah and Malone showed that glucose control helped preserve pancreas cells. I don't take patients off insulin for that reason. I use the help of the pancreas to keep glucose in good control to help preserve the pancreas.

Posted to Honeymoon