Question:

From a physician in Tampa, Florida, USA:

Does the honeymoon phase differ in patients with type 1A versus type 1B? Do type 1B patients tend to remain in remission longer?

Answer:

Good question. I wonder if many of the type 1B patients really are not type 2, now that we are appreciating more type 2 in children. Certainly every patient, even type 2 patients, seem to have improvement in insulin reserves as glucose is controlled. Glucose is actually toxic to the pancreas.

I don't think I actually can give a certain answer to the specific question, but the message to control glucose cannot be overly stressed.

Posted to Honeymoon