From Denver, Colorado, USA:

I am 29 years old, 32 weeks pregnant, and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 29 weeks. For the first first week or so, my fasting levels were between 70 and 90 mg/dl [3.9 and 5 mmol/L}, but, for the last two weeks, they have been registering above 90 mg/dl [5 mmol/L], but still below 100 mg/dl [5.5 mmol/L]. I am concerned that they are getting too close to 100 mg/dl [5.5 mmol/L].

I have heard a midnight snack can bring down the numbers. What are some different ways to try to keep fasting levels below 90 mg/dl [5 mmol/L]?

I would suggest reviewing your meal plan with a dietitian to make sure you are following it properly. A snack at midnight will probably not help. It is possible that you are developing more insulin resistance as the pregnancy progresses. This is usually what occurs with gestational diabetes.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes