Question:

From Black Canyon City, Arizona, USA:

My six year old son has been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia, and also displays some of the symptoms of hypoglycemia, including moodiness, inattentiveness, irritability, and fatigue. He usually responds to a granola snack, apple or cheese. He has never been tested for hypoglycemia. Is there any correlation between the anemia and hypoglycemia? Should I have him tested?

Answer:

Hypoglycemia is pretty rare in children. Certainly, there are many more conditions (including being a normal six year old) that cause moodiness, inattentiveness, irritability and fatigue. However, if you have concerns about hypoglycemia, I would suggest discussing them with your son's pediatrician. There is a possibility of a correlation between the anemia and fatigue, but only if the anemia is moderate or severe. Mild iron deficiency anemia most commonly has no readily identifiable symptoms.