Question:

From Annapolis, Maryland, USA:

I am 31 years old and have type 2 diabetes, initially diagnosed seven years ago. I started taking insulin almost two years ago. I took beef/pork insulin one and one-half years ago for three weeks and developed a reaction that consisted of skin that is painful to the touch and difficulty walking due to pain (similar to an extremely bad flu-like symptom) in my hips. Today, there still remains inflammation around the bursa area. What types of allergic reactions to beef/pork insulin have been reported?

Answer:

The most common type of allergic reaction to insulin of any type has been a local reaction to the insulin at the site of the injection. If the beef/pork insulin was discontinued one and one-half years ago, I would seriously question whether any persistent symptoms are still related to that. The beef/pork insulin (and the source for continued reaction) should be long gone. I would discuss this with your physician and look for other causes for your symptoms.