Question:

From Kearney, Nebraska, USA:

My maternal grandfather has a very serious case of diabetes, diagnosed many years ago. I have been showing some signs. I have been urinating very frequently, and it stings very badly. This has been going on for quite a while, and the doctors say there is nothing wrong. I also get faint and dizzy very easily and have severe headaches. I have had pneumonia a number of times, mono twice and a bad kidney infection. I also have been having troubles being able to get to sleep. I have also been experiencing constant thirst and a very dry throat. My doctors have tested me for diabetes, but it was negative. That was a year ago. I am only 16 years old and am very physically active and not overweight. Do you think I am at high risk of diabetes? Am I just experiencing some sort of infection?

Answer:

It's hard to comment from here, but it does sound as though your doctor has done all the right things. The test for diabetes is very simple, and it sounds as though your doctor has ruled that out. If you are still having problems, get back to your doctor and tell him your problems.

JS