Question:

From Sarasota, Florida, USA:

My 13 year old son, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two and a half years ago, just had a flu vaccine. I receive conflicting answers as to whether the rest of our family (living in the same house) should also be receiving this vaccine for his protection.

Answer:

Now that your son has been successfully vaccinated for flu, any additional protection that might accrue from vaccinating the rest of the family would be quite small. In any case, with this year's shortage of vaccine, this might be difficult to arrange.