From Croton on Hudson, New York, USA:

My eight year old daughter has type 1 diabetes and is in the third grade. She is very independent and knows what to do when her sugars are low, can draw insulin by herself and gives her own shots. If her dad or I cannot accompany her on a full day school trip, could the school ask her to stay home? What information could I use to approach this issue with the school? We have not classified her as disabled.

This where it becomes important to have a 504 plan in place. The 504 plan prevents the school from treating your daughter differently because of her diabetes and guarantees equal participation in all school activities.

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare