From a psychotherapist in Maryland, USA:

I am psychotherapist working with an 12 year boy who has diabetes. I am looking for age-appropriate resources for him and his mother to learn about diabetes because his doctor only gave them the medical explanation of diabetes. The boy is very scared he is going to die and believes his mother gives him 'the needle' just to be mean. Could you help me point them in the right direction?

This web site has many books listed to assist this family with the new diagnosis. My favorite is Grilled Cheese at Four O'Clock in the Morning by Judy Miller, illustrated by Jeanne Turner, and published by the American Diabetes Association, 1988. ISBN 0-9454-4802-3.

[Editor's comment: I strongly encourage you to insist that this young man and his parents be seen at a pediatric diabetes center. Pediatric diabetes teams have professionals well-versed on educating not only the parents, but the child as well in a manner appropriate for his developmental stage. In addition, such a center can provide additional supports through newsletters, other children and parents, support groups, and educational sessions. In this way, this child and family can receive the best possible education and treatment to make diabetes "live with them" instead of making them "live for diabetes".

In my opinion, a twelve-year-old is old enough to engage in diabetes self-management. To have his mother do his blood sugar checks and administer his insulin is not appropriate for most children in this age group.

In addition, you might suggest that these parents and young man visit the chat rooms on this website. SS]

Posted to Behavior