From Wakefield, New York, USA:

My sister has diabetes and her child eats absurd amounts of junk food. I'm concerned that her child may also get diabetes. Is diabetes in kids is increasing because of the junk food they eat, especially if they have a predisposition to diabetes? Do you know where I can get information on that topic?

Nobody gets diabetes from eating junk food, but they may become obese. Obesity is associated with an increase in type 2 diabetes in adults, and this is now also occurring in kids. This is especially true if there is a strong family history of type 2 diabetes. The strongest association occur in those of African, Native American, Asian, Pacific Island and Latin-American descent.

Just one more in a long list of reasons to not overeat, to get more exercise, and to not become overweight.

[Editor's comment: See: What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children. SS]