From Colleyville, Texas, USA:

My two year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 10 months ago. Over the last three months, she has been saying her "tummy hurts". Sometimes it is before she eats, sometimes after. There doesn't seem to be a pattern that I can find. Is this common? What can I do to help her feel better? She doesn't necessarily slow down in activity during these times. Sometimes she is a little fussy. Could it possibly be that she is getting too much sugar-free juice?

It is very difficult to tell what can be causing these symptoms, as children without diabetes or any other condition often complain of tummy aches (my five year old daughter is a typical example!). I am assuming you have ruled out the possibility of these symptoms being due to hypos. These are extremely difficult to pick up in children under five as they cannot tell you what is wrong. If the pains are happening frequently, you should have her checked out by your daughter's paediatrician.

[Editor's comment: You might also ask your daughter's pediatrician about the possibility of celiac disease. SS]

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other Illnesses