From The United Kingdom:

I am a 38 year old gentleman who is overweight, but not obese. I have recently had chest pain, which I was first diagnosed as a chest infection and did not respond to antibiotics. After a second consultation, my blood pressure was 140/110, blood tests were taken including a fasting glucose, which came back as 7.3 mmol/L [131 mg/dl], and I am now waiting for a second result. Would this justify a diagnosis of diabetes? Three of my mother's brothers developed type 2 diabetes, all are now insulin dependent.

Strictly speaking a fasting blood glucose of above 7 mmol/L [ 126 mg/dl], especially if this is found on two occasions, is diagnostic of diabetes. Your story does suggest that you have one or two health problems that need to be addressed, blood pressure and weight. It is important that you deal with these problems now as this will be of important health benefit for the future.

Your doctor should give you advice about these, or refer you on to a specialist if he feels this is appropriate. However, you do need to have your problems dealt with, and if the second blood test confirms diabetes, this will need to be treated. It may be that diet and weight loss is all that is needed to get your blood glucose control normal.