From Clinton, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am a thin, 29 year old recently diagnosed with typeá1 diabetes, and I am on insulin. My beta cell antibody test was negative. Why is this? Am I still type 1?

You need to know more about the type of beta cell antibody test you had performed. There are three frequently used antibody tests, including islet cell antibodies, anti-insulin antibodies, and anti-GAD. The first two are helpful if positive, however, they tend to be positive for a finite time and can then decrease. The anti-GAD antibody test is possibly more helpful because it remains positive for a longer time, especially for those who have been diagnosed with a form of autoimmune diabetes at a later age. From your history, it sounds like you fit the type for a person with typeá1A diabetes. There are other helpful tests for characterization. I would suggest you speak with your physician about this.