Question:

From Clinton, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am a thin, 29 year old recently diagnosed with typeá1 diabetes, and I am on insulin. My beta cell antibody test was negative. Why is this? Am I still type 1?

Answer:

You need to know more about the type of beta cell antibody test you had performed. There are three frequently used antibody tests, including islet cell antibodies, anti-insulin antibodies, and anti-GAD. The first two are helpful if positive, however, they tend to be positive for a finite time and can then decrease. The anti-GAD antibody test is possibly more helpful because it remains positive for a longer time, especially for those who have been diagnosed with a form of autoimmune diabetes at a later age. From your history, it sounds like you fit the type for a person with typeá1A diabetes. There are other helpful tests for characterization. I would suggest you speak with your physician about this.