Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from January 2001

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My 13 year old was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and is using N and R insulin. A person with long-time diabetes told us that R insulin is a thing of the past and is no longer used. Is this true? (31 Jan 2001)

2. My six year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes since age four. My 11 year old niece recovered from Henoch-Schonlein purpura and my two year old nephew is being evaluated for autism. Could there be some autoimmune problem in our family since all of these conditions are autoimmune related? (31 Jan 2001)

3. My three year old son gets a combination of NPH and Humalog in the morning. ow long can the dose stay good in the syringe? Should it be given within five to ten minutes of combining the insulins or does it matter? (31 Jan 2001)

4. My daughter was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. She has had several hallucinatory episodes that scare and upset me. I am not finding much information on this for young children, so if you can help me out in anyway, I would be most grateful. (31 Jan 2001)

5. My son has had several high readings, way over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] that eventually return to normal. Occasional lows are now becoming a problem. Does this sound like the typical onset of type 1 diabetes? (31 Jan 2001)

6. I've been experiencing a lot of signs of hypoglycemia like blurred vision, dizziness, lightheadedness, and feeling shaky and tired. My friend has diabetes, and once and a while, I test my blood sugar with her meter. What do my blood sugar results mean? (31 Jan 2001)

7. My 12 year old granddaughter is on the inhaled insulin trial. About a week ago, she started wheezing and the doctors thought she had developed asthma from the inhaler. After doing tests, they think that it is bacterial due to birds in the home. Can you offer any information? (31 Jan 2001)

8. My two sons, ages six and nine, were diagnosed with diabetes four years ago, at the same time that a factory opened next door to our residence. Is there an environmental link between certain chemicals (toxic) and developing this disease? (31 Jan 2001)

9. My daughter only has one shot of 6 units of NPH in the morning. This lasts her through supper, then at bedtime she is usually in the 200s mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] and the same at 3 am. Even at those high numbers,her morning sugar is in the low 100s mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. Should she be having an injection to cover those two time frames when she is high or will she just end up going too low by morning? (31 Jan 2001)

10. Is there a pen for glucagon (similar to an Epipen for asthmatics), and if not, why? (31 Jan 2001)

11. My two year old son, diagnosed with type 1 at fourteen months had gastroesophageal reflux which resolved itself around nine months of age, and I have recently become aware of other children diagnosed with type 1 at a young age who also had reflux. Do you know of any correlation of reflux in infants and type 1 diabetes? (30 Jan 2001)

12. I have recently been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and anorexia and have a lot of cravings for high carb/sugary foods. I know it would be best for me to avoid these, but I have a lot of trouble because I am an emotional eater. Do you have any suggestions that would help me curb this habit and also control my hypoglycemia at the same time? (30 Jan 2001)

13. The nerves on the bottom of my feet are very sensitive. Can anything be done? (30 Jan 2001)

14. I have heard recently that it is possible for someone who has a hypoglycemic reaction, and does not treat it, to die from it. Is this true? (30 Jan 2001)

15. When a person with diabetes is in ketoacidosis can there be a false reading of being intoxicated when having to take a breathalyzer test since ketones are an alcohol (or so I've been told)? (30 Jan 2001)

16. At the age of six, my son had excessive sugar in the urine, which the doctor diagnosed as renal diabetes. Recently, my son (now 17) had his urine tested, and the nurse indicated it contained the highest sugar count she had seen in urine. He has not displayed any abnormal symptoms. Is the problem possibly worsening leading to diabetes? (30 Jan 2001)

17. My son is six years old and has had type 1 for about a year. He needs a tonsillectomy and the doctor is advising me to give him two-thirds of the NPH in the morning. Since he cannot eat possibly the whole day, is it still okay for him to have NPH in the morning? (30 Jan 2001)

18. My three year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago. He has just had a viral infection which has caused his sugars to fluctuate badly. Is it true that children with diabetes have a poorer immune system? Is there anything we can include in his diet to increase his immunity? (30 Jan 2001)

19. My blood sugar reading is lower when I go to bed than after an all night fast. Is this normal? What can be causing this? (30 Jan 2001)

20. My 10 year old daughter is in the fifth grade at a private school. It seems to me that they don't take her diabetes seriously. What laws does she have to protect her? (30 Jan 2001)

21. I am 31 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for the last 13 years, and my husband and I are considering pregnancy. Although I have high sugars (200-300 mg/dl [11.1-16.7 mmol/L] several times a week, my HbA1c has consistently been in the normal range (5.8-6.2%). Could the low numbers be due to my thalassemia trait? (29 Jan 2001)

22. I have had type 2 diabetes for 15 years, and I am on insulin. I also have hypertension. Is there any better medication that would avoid insulin? (29 Jan 2001)

23. Every time my two year old son gets a cold or virus his sugar goes high and sometimes really low. Does this sound like early stages of diabetes or does this typically happen to all children when they get sick? Is it possible for a child without diabetes to have a blood sugar of 356 mg/dl [19.8 mmol/L] if he is sick with virus? (29 Jan 2001)

24. I am sixteen, have had diabetes for approximately two and a half years, and I went on a pump about three weeks ago. About how long does it take to work out basal rates and bolus rates? (29 Jan 2001)

25. My seven month old son now has type 1 diabetes because of a 95% pancreatectomy soon after birth. We need guidance from an experienced pediatric endocrinologist, who has been involved with such small babies with diabetes. We are prepared to come to the United States for a checkup. (29 Jan 2001)

26. My boyfriend has an 11 year old child who has diabetes. He has many problems because of diabetes, and the worst being some spots on his skin called " granuloma annulare". I think it´s serious. Is there medicine for this? (29 Jan 2001)

27. How long does it take for the blood glucose levels to stabilize after starting a gluten free diet for someone with both diabetes and celiac disease? (29 Jan 2001)

28. Am I supported by law to ask/expect teachers to take on responsibility for blood sugar checks and insulin injections in the absence of a school nurse? (29 Jan 2001)

29. My 10 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for five years. Her A1c has usually been in the 7-8% range with the most recent one being 5.9%. Our pediatric endocrinologist feels this is too low. Is this too low? (29 Jan 2001)

30. A patient's blood sugar was 1400 mg/dl [77.8 mmol/L], but ketones were negative. How is that possible? How long does it take for ketones to spill into the urine? How long did it take for the blood sugar to reach this level? (29 Jan 2001)

31. My 39 year old friend was recently diagnosed with diabetes. My friend and I were not comfortable with the doctor, who isn't a specialist and insisted on a second opinion by an endocrinologist. What do you think of this doctor's advice? (29 Jan 2001)

32. I'm 29 weeks pregnant and found out I have borderline gestational diabetes. I detect trace of ketones in my urine sometimes. Will my baby be harmed by the presence of these ketones? (29 Jan 2001)

33. I am currently on a 2000 calorie diet, and two different pills for diabetes. My period is a week late, and I feel nauseated and tired. I feel pregnant, but home pregnancy tests answer negative. Could I be pregnant? (29 Jan 2001)

34. I have type 2 diabetes controlled with diet and exercise. My weight dropped itself even though I didn't want it to, and I feel underweight at the moment. Everybody says I'm very thin. I would like to ask all of you how to gain weight. (29 Jan 2001)

35. At present, I treat my diabetes by diet alone, but it looks as though I might have to go onto tablets. Since I drive for a living, I am very concerned because I understand that certain tablets will affect your driving license and others will not. Is that true and what are they? (26 Jan 2001)

36. My husband has type 1 diabetes, diagnosed when he was 18, and we're about to have our first child. I read that her chances of developing diabetes are 6-7%. I plan to breastfeed because I've heard that can reduce the chances of a child developing diabetes. Will this offset the role of heredity at all? How long should I try to breastfeed? (26 Jan 2001)

37. Is there a good personal continuous glucose monitor available now? Where and how can I get one? (26 Jan 2001)

38. I tested my son's sugar using my meter, and found that his sugar, two hours after eating, was 8.9 mmol/L [160 mg/dl]. The next morning, I tested his fasting glucose which was was 4.5 mmol/L [81 mg/dl]. His doctor she said there was no worry as long as his fasting glucose didn't go over 7 mmol/L [126 mg/dl]. Should I be concerned with the higher test of 8.9 [160 mg/dl]? (26 Jan 2001)

39. My three and one-half year old daughter seems to have an insatiable craving for sugar and carbohydrates. I can barely get her to eat anything besides spaghetti and macaroni. When she hasn't eaten for more than three hours, she is extremely agitated. Is it possible that my daughter has hypoglycemia? (26 Jan 2001)

40. My 10 year old son was diagnosed a month ago. At the time, his HbA1c was 8%, and now it is 6.8%. He had a negative antibody test last week. He is taking a small dose of insulin twice a day. Does this mean he does not have diabetes? (25 Jan 2001)

41. My 12 year old son, who has type 1 diabetes diagnosed at the age of five, takes three injections of insulin daily. Recently, while visiting his mother, he was given a prescription for Glucophage by a doctor, other than his primary care giver. What is it? (25 Jan 2001)

42. My 10 year old son had an astrocytoma removed from his cerebellum about six months ago, and received a lot of steroids. Now, six months later, his fasting glucose was 9.9 mmol/L [178.2 mg/dl]. Could the stress of the 13 hour operation and the steroids have anything to do with this? Is there anything else that could cause his sugars to be up now? (25 Jan 2001)

43. My daughter had a fasting blood sugar done that was 65 mg/dl [3.6 mmol/L]. At the same time, she had no sugar in her urine, but still tested positive for ketones. I was told not to worry and no follow up was necessary. I have now found myself questioning everything she does. I need to know how much urination and thirst is excessive. (25 Jan 2001)

44. My eight year old daughter has had diabetes for four years. She frequently gets severe stomachaches and headaches. She tested negative for celiac disease and has normal bowel movements. Have any other studies been done? Have studies comparing different insulin brands/types with stomachache reports been done? (25 Jan 2001)

45. My two year old son, who has hypoglycemia, woke up screaming and semi-conscious with his 30 mg/dl [1.7 mmol/L]! Is it true that a hypoglycemic person cannot go into a coma from low blood sugars? (25 Jan 2001)

46. My 70 year old mother has type 1 diabetes. She gets infections easily, and now she is just getting over a bad bladder infection. Is there anything she can do to prevent bladder infections? Why do they occur? (25 Jan 2001)

47. My wife and I have recently had a new baby whose blood sugar at birth sugar level was practically zero. For the last two days, his blood sugar has been staying around the 20s mg/dl [1.1 mmol/L], but will go as high as the 70s mg/dl [3.9 mmol/L] sometimes. Could this be a sign of hypoglycemia? Would this most likely be a case in which my son's body just needs a little time to get adjusted? (25 Jan 2001)

48. What is the current status of newer modes of insulin administration like nasal, oral, or any other routes? (25 Jan 2001)

49. A five year old girl with type 1 diabetes had repeated large and moderate ketones in her urine for five days with a virus. Because the girl wasn't vomiting, had no pain, and her blood glucose wasn't high, the girl's pediatrician, after a routine exam, recommended continuing at-home care. He remarked that all kids have ketones with a virus, diabetes or not. Do people who do not have diabetes spill glucose and/or ketones in their urine? (24 Jan 2001)

50. I use Mixtard 20 and Mixtard 30 by pen. Can you graph an illustration of the effectiveness of the quick/slow acting insulin in each case? (24 Jan 2001)

51. My eight year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. Where can I find a picture of injection spots? (24 Jan 2001)

52. My 17 year old son has developed gynecomastia since the onset of his type 1 diabetes requiring surgery to correct. Can this be related to insulin use? (24 Jan 2001)

53. In my role as Welfare Officer for our local Multiple Sclerosis (MS) branch, I have had a call from the husband of a member who has chronic progressive MS, has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. Her treatment plan is difficult because she has care givers who visit to help with meals, etc., who visit only twice a day. Can let me know of any experience of diabetes and MS or can point me to a web resource? (24 Jan 2001)

54. I am a 33 year old female, married for nine years and have had type 1 diabetes for five years. Before diabetes, I was sexually active with my husband. Now, my sex drive is not what it use to be. Is there medication available for females with this problem? (24 Jan 2001)

55. My son was just diagnosed a month ago and is two and a half years old. Because of his age, I am interested in an alternative to having to poke his fingers several times a day, and I read something about a "laser" for checking blood glucose levels. Is there any such thing, and how accurate is it? (24 Jan 2001)

56. I'm 18 and have diabetes. I am on probation and have to take drug screens every month. Some people tell me that the insulin I am taking will get marijuana out of my system quicker than in someone who does not have diabetes. Is this true or not? Is it too bad get a tattoo on my body? (24 Jan 2001)

57. I am 25 weeks pregnant and had a blood sugar of 148 mg/dl [8.2 mmol/L] on my one-hour test. I had a strange reaction about ten minutes or so after drinking the solution which persisted the rest of the day. Could this be a sign that I might have gestational diabetes even if the three-hour test comes back okay? (24 Jan 2001)

58. Have there been any lawsuits filed because a school nurse (RN) did not delegate the task of administration of glucagon to someone who is not a nurse but is a school district employee? This would be given in emergency situations when the RN is not at the school. (24 Jan 2001)

59. My five year old year old son was diagnosed with Insulin dependent diabetes a month ago. I have a tough time finding "free" foods for my son. He is always hungry, but is limited to a 1500 calorie diet. Can you please help me? (24 Jan 2001)

60. My 70 year old mother has type 1 diabetes. She gets infections easily, and now she is just getting over a bad bladder infection. Is there anything she can do to prevent bladder infections? Why do they occur? (24 Jan 2001)

61. I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three months ago. I am also enlisted in the US Navy and have been for four years. I have no family history of diabetes. Is it possible to have contracted this due to vaccines given to me while on active duty? (23 Jan 2001)

62. My 18 year old daughter, who has had diabetes since she was three years old, will be entering college next school year. I am trying to find information on college scholarships available to people with diabetes. I contacted the Lilly Corporation and was told they are not going to offer scholarships for this year. Where else can I check? (23 Jan 2001)

63. A few months ago, I found out my black lab has diabetes, and I now have a lot of trouble regulating his insulin. His blood sugars can jump from 100 to 600 mg/dl [5.6 to 33.3mmol/L] then down to the negative on the dip strips. I am working with my vet and pharmacist to regulate it. What should I do? Any suggestions? (23 Jan 2001)

64. I'm trying to find out are specifics on the chemistry used in different blood glucose meters. As more companies shift to electrochemical technologies I'm wondering how the technologies differ and even if they differ. Are they all based on oxidised glucose or peroxide or do they use other methods? (23 Jan 2001)

65. Is it true that lactose intolerant babies have a higher risk of developing diabetes? (23 Jan 2001)

66. My 11 year old son developed diabetes nine years ago, and his pediatrician manages his diabetes. We do not have a local pediatric endocrinologist in our city. The nearest university hospital is 75 miles away, and it is not convenient to take our kid there. Do you know of any medical center that will manage his diabetes on-line, without our physical presence? (23 Jan 2001)

67. My 24 year old sister was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 11 and requires shots two times per day. She was complaining of weight gain and stopped taken her insulin on a regular basis about two years ago. Can you explain some of the complications that occur with unregulated sugar levels? (23 Jan 2001)

68. I use an insulin pen for my NPH and Regular. I am planning a three week trip to Thailand where the temperature can be as high as 33 C. Will my penfills be all right? (23 Jan 2001)

69. I am 21 years old, and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just before I turned two. Once I was able to administer my own insulin injections and test my blood sugars myself, I was given much more autonomy around my health and diabetes care. Since that time, I have been noncompliant and cannot seem to get on track. (23 Jan 2001)

70. My son does not have diabetes, but he has had blood sugars as high as 356 mg/dl [19.8 mmol/L] and as low as 30 mg/dl [1.7 mmol/L]. His pediatrician insists that he is fine because his blood sugars will be normal for weeks at a time. Is it possible he has a pancreas problem? (23 Jan 2001)

71. My son does not wear his pump for football games, so his blood sugar goes too high, and, often, he has to sit out. Is there any way he can wear the pump, or can you give any suggestions to keep the sugar down? (22 Jan 2001)

72. My 78 year old mother-in-law has type 2 diabetes for which she is taking Glucophage, Glyburide and Actos. Her physician has suggested taking BiosLife 2 and says that it may eliminate the need for some of these medications. Is there any evidence to this effect to justify the expense of $60 per month? (22 Jan 2001)

73. Can your blood sugar go low enough to go into the same kind of coma that a person with diabetes can go into even if you don't have diabetes? (22 Jan 2001)

74. What should be the maximum and lowest blood sugar for a 50 year old person? What should be the normal upper and lower limits of blood pressure for a 50 year old person? (22 Jan 2001)

75. My two year old cousin has diabetes. My concern is, my aunt (his mother) stays up all night, and sleeps all day, and because of this, her son has picked up this same bad habit. At 3 pm, he will still be in bed, or just getting up to eat his breakfast, and he does not get his first shot until then. Is there any information you can give me to relay it to my aunt the importance of regular eating and sleeping patterns? (22 Jan 2001)

76. I am seven months pregnant and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 29 weeks. I have asthma and was put on an inhaled steroid about a year ago. I did not have gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy when I was not taking steroids. Can inhaled steroids somehow be related to gestational diabetes? (22 Jan 2001)

77. I am 31 years, six months pregnant, and, in my early teens I was diagnosed as having a low renal threshold. My obstetrician ordered a three-hour glucose tolerance test, and we are awaiting the results. Could my low renal threshold make it appear as though I have gestational diabetes? (22 Jan 2001)

78. I have been told I have gestational diabetes, but think they might be overcautious. I did my own 75 gram test and this came out much lower. Did I have a problem? If so, could it have off? (22 Jan 2001)

79. I have been recently diagnosed with hypoglycemia and hypothyroidism. I am uncertain as to what to eat, when I "crash". Can you tell me? My crashes are severe, equal to being in a coma-like state. (22 Jan 2001)

80. I am 31 weeks into my first pregnancy, and I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes about 2 weeks ago, controlled by diet. I am concerned because my fasting blood sugars have been 90-95 mg/dl [5-5.3mmol/L] for the last five days. Is there something I can change in my evening snack to avoid such high fasting numbers? (22 Jan 2001)

81. I know that my honeymoon period is longer than natural, and I would like to know why. Is it possible that I do not have type 1 diabetes? (20 Jan 2001)

82. The insurance company turned down my request for an insulin pump request because my HbA1c hasn't been consistently over 7% for the past six months. Do you have any advice? (20 Jan 2001)

83. A recent issue of American Baby magazine mentions a study that said there could be a link between diabetes and baby formula if there was a family history. I breast fed my daughter for seven months and supplemented with formula. My brother has type 1 diabetes and I am wondering if this, along with giving her formula, has increased her chances of developing the disease. (20 Jan 2001)

84. What is type 1B diabetes? (20 Jan 2001)

85. I compete in fitness competitions and no one wants to help me with a diet nor do they know what kind of diet to give me. Please help or point me in the direction of someone who can. (20 Jan 2001)

86. Has any group of people with type 1 diabetes been tested for the 25-OH-D vitamin D deficiency? (20 Jan 2001)

87. I found an article in a local newspaper that said a man in Peking had himself cured of diabetes by eating ants. Is this possible? What kind of ants should a lady of 53 eat? (19 Jan 2001)

88. I'm 63 years old and have insulin dependent diabetes, in excellent sugar control. I am just getting over a bout with dysphagia. Is there a connection between dysphagia and diabetes? (19 Jan 2001)

89. Recently my middle aged uncle, who has type 1 diabetes, was rushed to the hospital a week ago, has been in a diabetic coma ever since, and he also has kidney failure. I have a feeling that the doctors are not doing everything they can for my uncle and would greatly appreciate any answers or help you can give me. (19 Jan 2001)

90. I'm middle aged man with type2 diabetes. I heard of an new treatment in which diabetes was cured by injecting the pancreas with blood from placenta or birth cord. Is there any truth to this? (19 Jan 2001)

91. Our six year old daughter, diagnosed at 18 months with type 1 diabetes, is now on three shots of insulin a day to improve her control in the early morning hours. We are struggling to determine what the best mix and timing of these shots should be. What is the usual three shot regimen when using a mix of Humalog and NPH? (19 Jan 2001)

92. My eight and one-half year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three years ago. For the past year or more, she has complained of her stomach hurting. Her doctor ordered an antibody test which was positive for IgG. What does this means in terms of her diabetes or overall health concerns? (19 Jan 2001)

93. I am 51 years old, do not have diabetes, and have started dental implant work. If I develop diabetes after all my implants are done, is there a chance that my implants with fail due to diabetes? Why and how does diabetes affect dental implants? (19 Jan 2001)

94. I am 16 years old and I'm showing many signs of diabetes. At first my mother and I thought it was hypoglycemia, but that doesn't seem to be the case. There is strong history of diabetes showing up in older people in my family. Is there any connection between the diabetes I might have and the diabetes they have? If I do have it, would I have type 1? (19 Jan 2001)

95. I have been diagnosed with diabetes. Please let me know the carbohydrate counts I can have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (19 Jan 2001)

96. I was just told I have type 2 diabetes. Is this blood sugar level something to be concerned about? The doctor told me to eat no sugars. What would happen if I did? Is this level high enough to take oral medication? (19 Jan 2001)

97. We have found that three small doses of NPH at mealtime and a normal dose of NPH at bedtime with Humalog for meals a good way to keep control. Do you folks do this too? (18 Jan 2001)

98. My six year old is usually over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] at breakfast so I increase her dinnertime NPH by one unit, and she seems to always go low in the middle of the night. If I don't give her the extra unit she is still high. What can I do to prevent the lows, but maintain an average level in the morning? (18 Jan 2001)

99. Lately, we notice that the injections were a little harder to inject into my son's arms so we decided to start giving him his injections in his backside. We have observed his blood sugars are so much better when we inject in his backside. Do you sometimes have to stop using certain areas for a while? (18 Jan 2001)

100. My 16 year old daughter is tired of doing good management. Her last two HbA1c results were around 10 and 11%. What can I do to help move her out of this place of complacency? (18 Jan 2001)

101. My 11 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes and is also on Ritalin. Her behavior is bad and she doesn't listen. Does all this play a major role in her behavior? (18 Jan 2001)

102. I'm 14 year old boy, and I have been having trouble with my diabetes recently. I can't seem to get my blood sugar below 10 mmol/L [180 mg/dl], and I'm starting to worry. Is there anything I can do? (18 Jan 2001)

103. I have newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes. I would like to know how many food exchanges are you allowed in a day. I have a lot of books on food for people with diabetes, but they all tell you how much food is in an exchange, but not how many you are allowed. (18 Jan 2001)

104. My five year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. We are running into a lot of financial problems. Is there any possibility of getting her on a social security supplemental income? (17 Jan 2001)

105. My first daughter got diabetes when she was three. She was allergic to cow's milk and start drinking soy milk when she was seven months old. My second daughter is seven months old month, and was also found to be allergic to cow's milk. Is it true that drinking soy milk over a long time may causes diabetes? (17 Jan 2001)

106. About three months ago. I was diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) after having complained of unusual symptoms following an epileptic seizure. Do people who have epilepsy caused by brain damage have their glucose levels rise when they have a seizure, and go back to normal about an hour later? (17 Jan 2001)

107. My six year old son was diagnosed with type 1diabetesa year ago, and this week, he was diagnosed with ADHD. He will be starting on a medication for the ADHD this weekend. He hasn't a clue as to what is going on, but I am feeling totally overwhelmed. (17 Jan 2001)

108. My six year old daughter has had frequent stomachaches and headaches for over eight weeks. She also has frequent urination, thirst, and hunger, and is easily upset at times. We did a fasting blood sugar which was 69 mg/dl [3.8 mmol/L]. I want to have a glucose tolerance test done, but wonder if it is necessary when her blood sugar was a little on the low side instead of high side. (17 Jan 2001)

109. My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum about four months ago. She tested negative for diabetes on a fasting blood test. She is taking Trental, but there has not been any improvement. The dermatologist is giving me conflicting answers with what I find on the "net," and I have many questions. (17 Jan 2001)

110. I have had type 1 diabetes for 18 years and am now on the insulin pump. I have peripheral neuropathy and take Neurontin. Is it possible to eventually go off of the Neurontin as my diabetes improves? (17 Jan 2001)

111. Our son was thought to have seizures, but now they think it might be a heart arrhythmia or neurocardiogenic cause, not epilepsy. (17 Jan 2001)

112. I am 54 years old, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years ago, and I am still not controlled. My diet habits stink, and I want to do better at eating the right amounts of food. Are there any books out that tell someone how many carbs, fats and sugars, and the amount of sodium a person with diabetes can have at each meal? (17 Jan 2001)

113. I am a 12 year old who was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I have some food questions. (16 Jan 2001)

114. My daughter has skin eruptions on her buttocks, arms and legs, that look like little boils that never erupt. Is this a common problem with children who have diabetes? (16 Jan 2001)

115. My doctor called to tell me I had borderline diabetes. My mother, who has had diabetes for sometime, suggested I see another doctor. She said there is no such thing as borderline diabetes. You either have diabetes or don't, but it can be controlled in several ways. Is there borderline diabetes? Would you suggest I see another doctor? (16 Jan 2001)

116. A few weeks ago, my mother noticed that my 11 year old son was drinking a lot. He has had a series of home urine tests and lab blood sugars, but no one seems to know what to make of these results. They believe I may have caught diabetes early. I feel frustrated and would just like to get a handle on this. (16 Jan 2001)

117. Our 10 year old is giving us a very hard time about checking sugars and getting insulin shots. I think now she is angry that she has diabetes and knows that it is not going to go away. Is this normal? Should she talk to a counselor? (16 Jan 2001)

118. I have mood swings which usually occur when my sugar has been elevated. Could this be related to fluctuating blood sugars? Do you have any answers and/or suggestions as to whether this could be the case and, if so, how to deal with it? (16 Jan 2001)

119. My 71 year old mother, who has type 1 diabetes, has developed problems with her memory. It has been very tough on my dad who not used to being a caregiver. Is this memory problem due to out of control readings before she went on insulin? (16 Jan 2001)

120. I am 13 years old and was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I am gradually adjusting to the carbo counting, and the certain restrictions. Could you tell me some free foods? (16 Jan 2001)

121. My seven year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago. After a five hour meeting with the endocrinologist, we went home with only a follow-up visit a week later with the diabetes team. What is the reason other children are hospitalized at the time of diagnosis, and my daughter wouldn't be? (16 Jan 2001)

122. What exactly is maltodextrin? Is it a natural product and how is it produced? Does it affect blood sugar levels? (15 Jan 2001)

123. My new roommate has commented that I use the bathroom extraordinarily frequently. Having lived alone for years, I have had no basis of comparison, but I hadn't noticed any sudden changes. I have read that excessive urination is a sign of diabetes. Could you please define excessive? How many symptoms should one have before getting a test? (15 Jan 2001)

124. I am considering applying for a job in Pune, India. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in six months ago, and now have my blood sugar well under control with a combination of metformin, diet, and exercise. Would I be able to continue accessing the medication? Do you have any other advice for me regarding living in India with diabetes? (15 Jan 2001)

125. Is there any permanent treatment for this dreadful disease possible in the near future (one to two years)? Is there a possibility of temporary diabetes occurring in a child? (15 Jan 2001)

126. I am 34 and was diagnosed as having borderline gestational diabetes. Could my intolerance have gone away now? (15 Jan 2001)

127. My six year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago. Her A1cs have consistently been between 5.1 and 6.1%. She recently had protein in her urine and an elevated BUN/creatinine ratio, which her endocrinologist has never mentioned. Is this any indication of future kidney problems? Should I be concerned? (15 Jan 2001)

128. My mother's family has an extensive family history of autoimmune diseases, and about six months ago, my two year old little girl was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Do you know of anyone interested in studying our family and the obvious genetic connection with us? (15 Jan 2001)

129. Our eight year-old son has had diabetes since the age of three. Would an injection of Humalog and NPH before his noon meal put him at risk for lows in the afternoon? I would be hesitant to load him up with more NPH at noon, fearful that it would be too much combined with the carryover effect of his morning NPH. (15 Jan 2001)

130. Is it unusual for a child to have normal antibody tests and be classified as 1A? How exactly would we be able to distinguish the two? (15 Jan 2001)

131. How can diabetic ketoacidosis, if left untreated, lead to gangrenous bowels? (14 Jan 2001)

132. My 10 year old son was diagnosed three years ago with type 1 diabetes and positive celiac antibodies, but a negative biopsy. It has been decided to a close eye on his growth at the moment with regular follow-up. He has also be having very moody days. Could the violent moods and the celiac antibodies be connected? (14 Jan 2001)

133. Is diabetes triggered by blood glucose alone, or is it also due to tension? Does it produce incontinence of urine and anosmia? (14 Jan 2001)

134. We have recently noticed that my four year old granddaughter has adult body odor. Isn't that awfully young? Doesn't that have to do with hormones? (14 Jan 2001)

135. My very close friend (age 16) has had type 1 for eight years now. She is on an insulin pump and has always had relatively good control. In the last few months however, her periods have been irregular, and she is having a problem with high blood sugars. Could diabetes be causing the irregular periods? Do you have any idea what could be causing the blood sugar not to come down? (14 Jan 2001)

136. Can a baby be born with diabetes? My cousin said her baby was born with diabetes, and a year later, the baby now shows no sign of diabetes and requires no insulin. (14 Jan 2001)

137. I am 46 years old, have type 1 diabetes, and I have been using a pump for four months. My blood sugar is suddenly very high even though my pump appears to be working and my routine has not changed. Is "poor site absorption" a possibility? What causes it? How do I avoid it? (14 Jan 2001)

138. I was just told I have foot problems known as Charcot disorder, effecting my right foot. I have been in a cast for last three months, and my doctor now recommends surgery. What role does diabetes play in this? Will my recovery time be longer since I have diabetes? Are there any complications or things I should know? (14 Jan 2001)

139. I am a 21 year old girl.who has had type 1 for ten months. I have made every effort to educate myself about my condition, and I would say there isn't much that I don't know about diabetes. Which is why I have become suicidal about my failure to control it. I am on the verge of giving up because I cannot control it, and the more it goes wrong, the more I withdraw from life. (14 Jan 2001)

140. My nine year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years ago. She has severe hypertrophy on her stomach and arms. Will it go away? How can we best prevent it? (14 Jan 2001)

141. Can other substances in the blood, besides glucose, affect the glucose reading on a meter? (12 Jan 2001)

142. My 12 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago. He has trouble with very dry scalp and skin. I would like to know if there is a recommended shampoo product. (12 Jan 2001)

143. My 10 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age seven. Is it safe to give him Echinacea to boost his immune system during cold season? (12 Jan 2001)

144. I have four children, and the oldest (age nine) was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six months ago. When my youngest child (age two and one -half), I believe we harvested the umbilical cord. Are you aware of any research in the area of using sibling umbilical cord blood to treat type 1 diabetes? (12 Jan 2001)

145. I'm having trouble living with type 1 diabetes. I feel it shouldn't have happened to me. Help! (12 Jan 2001)

146. About five months ago, my 63 year old mother had a stroke, and her blood sugar has gone utterly barmy. It is in the high 20s mmol/L [360 mg/dl] most of the time. She does not get any symptoms whether high or low, can you help? (12 Jan 2001)

147. I was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I am a nurse and work both night shift and day shift; thus, my sleeping and awake hours are very irratic. Is it reasonable to not have a period of fasting but eat every four hours? (12 Jan 2001)

148. My 82 year old mother has metastatic lung cancer and is expected to live less than a year. She has diabetes and is trying to keep the levels in a tight range. For the time she has left why not let the ranges vary? (12 Jan 2001)

149. My two year, three month old son was diagnosed with type 1 almost two weeks ago. Do know of any studies that indicate increased breast milk would benefit his condition? Do you know anything about naturopaths or homeopaths reversing the effects of a vaccine and whether or not it helped in controlling diabetes? (11 Jan 2001)

150. My 12 year old daughter, who lives with her mom, has gained a lot of weight since our divorce. The endocrinologist first put her on thyroid hormone and then added Glucophage. Does she now have diabetes? Did the obesity cause the thyroid problem? (11 Jan 2001)

151. I have bruises from my infusion sets and from two years or so ago when I was doing shots. Is there anything I can do to help the old bruising from my shots go away? (11 Jan 2001)

152. Where can I find statistics for the number of children under five with diabetes in the United Kingdom? (11 Jan 2001)

153. I have read extensively on rebound, the dawn phenomenon, and hyperglycemia in the morning. Nowhere can I find an answer to my question, which is whether these phenomena are continuous or sometimes intermittent. It is hard to understand how they could be intermittent, meaning from day to day and week to week. (11 Jan 2001)

154. My 12 year old son just passed his first year of diagnosis with type 1 diabetes. We were told he has insulin resistance and was recently diagnosed with Graves' disease. Because he has had this many problems this early, do you think that it is a prelude of more to come? (11 Jan 2001)

155. Our six year old daughter was diagnosed with a week ago. When we got home from the hospital, she broke out with chicken pox. Can a virus cause the high sugar levels or should I go see another doctor to have her rechecked? (11 Jan 2001)

156. My ten and one-half year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 14 months. Last winter, she developed a Brown's syndrome in her eye, and her eye does not "track" with the other. Is the Brown's related to type 1 diabetes? Will the large doses of ibuprofen interfere with her diabetes treatment? (11 Jan 2001)

157. A 13 year old female who has had type 1 diabetes for three years is now refusing blood draws. She does her blood sugars at home, and they are in the 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] range. She refused to come to her last doctor's appointment that specifically was to address the need for certain labs. Her mother came alone. Do you have any suggestions? (10 Jan 2001)

158. Can a physical trauma to a two and one-year old boy "set off" his diabetes? Can childhood diabetes be "set off" or is it something that develops over time? Might he have been born with a problem in his system that gradually caused his diabetes? (10 Jan 2001)

159. My five year old son was diagnosed with diabetes about four months ago. His body is still making some insulin. In fact, I have to continuously give extra carbohydrates to keep the blood sugars up. Is it possible something else could have raised his blood sugar and he really doesn't need any insulin? (10 Jan 2001)

160. I have had type 1 diabetes and have been for 24 years. Three weeks ago, I started using an insulin pump. My blood glucose readings have been great except when I change the infusion set. For whatever reason, each time the set has been rotated my blood glucose starts to rise. Can you give me some direction to prevent this? (10 Jan 2001)

161. I am 43 and have had insulin dependent diabetes for 12 years. For the last three weeks, the back of my left knee has been swollen, appearing to be retaining water. It is sore, but not so painful to send me to a physician. Should I worry? (10 Jan 2001)

162. I am a 26 year old female who has had type 1 diabetes for 21 years, and I have always maintained good control. Recently, I have started getting sharp, stinging pains in my hands that have gone up to my elbow at times when I wake up. Does this sound more like carpal tunnel syndrome, as opposed to the early signs of neuropathy? (10 Jan 2001)

163. I am a 23 year old female and have had diabetes for 17 years. I have always been in good control and have no complications. However, this past month were up to 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] at least once a day. Can one month of bad blood sugar control cause the complications I'm so fearful of? (10 Jan 2001)

164. I am a 28 year old female diagnosed nine months ago. I am in constant pain and this is ruining my life.The higher insulin dose I need to use, the worse the headache. Is there a known link between migraine and insulin use? (10 Jan 2001)

165. I've read that a viral infection has sometimes been thought to be one of the causes of childhood diabetes. This three year old normal healthy boy was being treated for an ear infection about two months prior to his diagnosis. Is an ear infection considered a viral infection? (9 Jan 2001)

166. Is a hypoglycemic seizure just like an epileptic seizure? Does the person yell and feel like they are swallowing their tongue? Do eyes roll back? Do they shake? Etc.? (9 Jan 2001)

167. I realize that there is some genetic component to type 1 diabetes, but I'm surprised that so many family members have now been diagnosed. Is this unusual? (9 Jan 2001)

168. Is it possible that my son could be one of the rare cases in children that can be treated with pills? Is it possible that his diabetes can be treated with diet or perhaps Humalog alone for the occasional readings over 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L] at mealtime? (9 Jan 2001)

169. My active 12 year old niece is, in my brother's words, "up to four shots a day" including one that requires a 4 am wake-up. This sounds very bad and I was wondering if I should read anything into this. Does this regimen suggest a more aggressive form of diabetes than normal? (9 Jan 2001)

170. Every morning before breakfast, my daughter's blood sugar was 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L], and right before lunch, it was about 70 mg/dl [3.9 mmol/L]. Her levels have never been over 72 mg/dl [4 mmol/L]and never under 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L]. Is this something i should be very concerned with? (9 Jan 2001)

171. Eight weeks ago, our 20 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She seems to get ill easily since being diagnosed and refuses drink and food. I try to get answers from her endocrine provider, but they are starting to make me feel incompetent. I am not comfortable with making changes on my own and have no support from the doctor. (9 Jan 2001)

172. My seven year old son has had type 1 diabetes for six years. His sugar goes his sugar stays up and down most of the time. What can I do to keep him from jumping up or getting lows at night? Can he get on the Insulin pump? (9 Jan 2001)

173. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six weeks ago and now requires 1.5 units of NPH after breakfast and nothing after dinner. Is it possible that my son might have type 1B diabetes? If he is type 1B, what is the treatment? Are there any illnesses whatsoever, that have been found to indicate the onset of diabetes without real diabetes? (8 Jan 2001)

174. Please tell me the diagnostic criteria, follow-up protocol and treatment, and guide me for further investigation and management for an eight day old baby girl. (8 Jan 2001)

175. My seven year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago. After some meetings with school officials, I decided to home school my son. Is there any financial aid for families like ours, who have a child with type 1 diabetes child, and choose to stay home with that child to oversee care? (8 Jan 2001)

176. I am currently within three weeks of my 42nd birthday and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 38. I am a male and becoming very concerned with the nerve damage that seems to be leading to impotence. What is it? Can it be arrested and or reversed? (8 Jan 2001)

177. I have gestational diabetes [GDM]in this pregnancy, and will have a follow-up GTT after the baby is born. Could a mom artificially pass (or fail) the GTT if her body is still "revved up" metabolically by nursing? (8 Jan 2001)

178. My six year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago. For at least the past three years, he has been a child with little energy who tires easily. Since his diagnosis and treatment he has been a lot more energetic! Is it possible that the diabetes could have been affecting him in some way for the past few years, even though the actual symptoms only started about three weeks before his diagnosis? (8 Jan 2001)

179. My 14 year old grandson was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. His diabetes is out of control. So is my grandson. He's a very angry person, and he needs help. Where can I go? What can I do? (8 Jan 2001)

180. My 14 year old daughter was recently rushed to hospital. Her blood sugar was 124 mg/dl [6.9 mmol/L], but she large ketones and was vomiting. No infection or virus was detected. Around 2 am the next morning her fever went away, her blood sugars were normal and the ketones were gone. Any reasons as to why this happened? (8 Jan 2001)

181. My 16 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes since age six. For the last couple of years, she has been experiencing allergic responses to who knows what. is not every day. Sometimes after injecting herself, a small raised dot or bump appears. We suspect she has an allergy to insulin. Any suggestions? (6 Jan 2001)

182. My two year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three weeks ago. Lots of people think I should be able to go back to work after my 12 week FMLA leave. I can't imagine sending my daughter back to daycare. (6 Jan 2001)

183. Is it possible to give yourself diabetes if insulin is injected when it is not needed? (6 Jan 2001)

184. My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy at age 13 based on the fact she had two morning seizures. How do I know it wasn't hypoglycemia? Is a hypoglycemic seizure just like an epileptic seizure? (6 Jan 2001)

185. Our three year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two weeks ago. We have several questions. (6 Jan 2001)

186. What can be done when a person with diabetes has an allergy to all of the synthetic insulins (including lispro) used to treat the disease? This allergy occurs in the pancreas, liver, kidneys, and poisoning of the blood. (6 Jan 2001)

187. My father-in-law has had type two diabetes for several years. Unfortunately he has not always controlled it. He has recently been diagnosed with "NASH." Is this caused by not controlling your blood sugars? (6 Jan 2001)

188. I am 14 years old, and I was just diagnosed with diabetes a month ago. After spending a week in the hospital, I felt that I had a pretty good control on my diabetes. However, when I went back to school, I encountered a whole bunch of problems. (6 Jan 2001)

189. I am 28 weeks pregnant with my second child. I just completed the 1-hour GTT and my reading was 161 mg/dl[8.9 mmol/L]. My doctor wants me to do the three-hour GTT. Can I get an accurate result on the three-hour test without eating this diet beforehand? (5 Jan 2001)

190. Can anyone tell me about why I am nauseated after taking Glucophage for a couple of days? I do okay and have gone as long as a couple months and then suffered from chronic nausea. (5 Jan 2001)

191. Our 14 year old son was diagnosed three weeks ago with type 1 diabetes. His symptoms came on fairly quickly, and his blood sugar was 1900 mg/dl [105.6 mmol/L] when we took him to the hospital. What is the "record" blood sugar level and still be semi-aware? (5 Jan 2001)

192. Concerning the onset of diabetes in children -- what would the insult be? (5 Jan 2001)

193. What can you tell me about the clinical trials here in New York City treating people who have newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes with medications to affect the t-cells? Is it very hopeful? (5 Jan 2001)

194. My 14 year old stepson, who has type 1 diabetes, has recently been ill for nine days. He is very thin and has a history of illness prior to the diagnosis. I am a true believer in nutritional support and feel that a dairy free diet (for our whole family ) would be very beneficial. (5 Jan 2001)

195. My four and one-half year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the beginning of this year. My doctor advised me to get his eyes checked. Unfortunately, I called my medical insurance and they told me that this is not covered with our plan. Is there anything that I can do or tell my insurance that this eye check- up is a part of his medical requirements? (5 Jan 2001)

196. I am almost 30 years old and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was very determined to lose weight and eat healthy, but it seems I have become more depressed about diabetes. I think I am in denial. I haven't lost a pound, and I feel like a huge failure. I am praying I will get out of this depression and pay attention to a healthier life. (5 Jan 2001)

197. I have had type 1 diabetes for 15 years today and cannot say that I have taken extremely good care of myself for a few years. I am 29 now and am realizing the limitations of mortality, etc. Essentially, I want to see my children grow old and am worried. It sure pays to monitor I realize now. What can I expect my life expectancy to be at this rate? (4 Jan 2001)

198. My doctor put me on an ACE inhibitor. I have asked why but have not received any answers. I do not have high blood pressure. Is there something this medication is used for other than blood pressure? (4 Jan 2001)

199. My son's insulins were both opened two and one-half and have been stored in the refrigerator, except to transport to another destination. His bedtime blood glucose readings have been quite high for the past five days or so and increasing his insulin has not worked. Could it be that we need a fresh vial of Humalog? Is two and one-half months a normal shelf life of Humalog? (4 Jan 2001)

200. I am a 36 year old male who has diabetes and hypothyroidism. When I urinate the urine forms a lot of foam (frothing) like when detergent liquid is poured. Why is this happening? (4 Jan 2001)

201. I watch what I eat and exercise regularly. I have tried to lose weight by cutting back my insulin. However, my sugars are now extremely high, and I have only gained more weight. Is it possible that I have gained weight because my sugars are so out of control? (4 Jan 2001)

202. Would having my daughter eat or drink something high fat or high protein immediately before her meal slow her glucose absorption and possibly prevent the high numbers afterward and the following drop with symptoms? (4 Jan 2001)

203. My seven year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago. Yesterday, he got the flu vaccination, and afterwards his blood sugars ran high. I am curious if the vaccine could have caused this. (4 Jan 2001)

204. I was diagnosed with diabetes nearly four years ago, at age 33. At the time, I was very overweight and my doctors assumed that I had type 2. After nine months of treatment with oral agents which did not work, I was put on insulin and classified as type 1. I have several questions. (3 Jan 2001)

205. My eight year old daughter has type 1 diabetes. Lately, she has been coming home from school really tired. All she want's to do is lay around or just sleep. Sometimes, she does not even eat dinner because cause she is so tired. What could cause her to be so tired all the time? (3 Jan 2001)

206. My son recently had a sugar level of 159 mg/dl [8.8 mmol/L]. The doctor told me that his level could be up because of the asthma medications he takes. How can this be? If the medications he is on raise his sugar level, could he be put on other asthma medications that wouldn't have this effect on him? (3 Jan 2001)

207. My 16 year old nephew is visiting from Mexico and has diabetes, I don't know what type, but he gets two insulin shots every day. However, they no longer seem to be as effective as the way they are supposed to. Can you refer me to a good doctor to see if he could get a prescription for something stronger? (3 Jan 2001)

208. I am 29 and 17.5 weeks pregnant and a have a history of gestational diabetes. I failed the one-hour test, but was surprised by the 39 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L] on the three-hour test. Is this something to be concerned about? (3 Jan 2001)

209. My husband and son both have type 1 diabetes. I have been hearing wonderful things about taking herbs, how they balance out blood sugars and the side affects of kidney, eye damage, etc. Do you have any information regarding herbal treatments for diabetes? (2 Jan 2001)

210. My father was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was five. I had heard the myth about diabetes skipping a generation and am worried about my two year old son. Should I ask the pediatrician to test my son, if nothing more than to allay my fears? (2 Jan 2001)

211. Last night my husband suddenly got a severe headache and felt a little nausea. At the time, his blood sugar was 30 mg/dl [1.7 mmol/L]. I know he has severe unawareness, and it seems every time he has a low he gets a new symptom. Does this sound like a symptom of low blood sugar or something else? (2 Jan 2001)

212. I have type 1 diabetes, lupus, and a cold thyroid nodule. I have right-sided muscle pain and extreme fasciculation. My sugars are above 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L], and at my last exam, I was spilling glucose in my urine. The emergency room staff claimed it is probably a urinary tract infection [UTI], but I know I don't have any signs of a UTI. I have had a fever of 100-101 degrees for six days. Do you have any idea what else I can do? (2 Jan 2001)

213. My doctor mentioned that gestational diabetes increases the risk of a still-born baby, hence the need to do non-stress tests starting at 36 weeks. Why is the risk higher? (2 Jan 2001)

214. I am a 33 year old female who has had type 1 diabetes for over 11 years, and I use an insulin pump. I was exposed to a child who has chickenpox. I did not come in direct contact with the child, but was in the same room with her. Should I be concerned about my exposure to chickenpox? (2 Jan 2001)

215. My 58 year old husband has type 2 diabetes. He has had a great deal of trouble keeping his blood sugars in appropriate ranges. He goes to a major diabetes clinic, and has attended their lecture program. Are there week-long (or whatever) sessions/retreats/spa programs that help people with diabetes "get with the program"? (1 Jan 2001)

216. Recently, I've started consuming sugar-free items. Should I consume such kind of things? What precautions should I take? Are they really harmful? (1 Jan 2001)

217. My 30 year old friend had gestational diabetes requiring insulin. When she returned to the endocrinologist for her six-week check-up, she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She has not had any obvious symptoms both prior to the pregnancy and after the baby was born. Is it likely that she had diabetes prior to becoming pregnant which she was unaware of? (1 Jan 2001)

218. My father has consistently been hitting lows of 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L] and below at night. His doctor is trying to work with him, but no solution has helped. Do you have any suggestions? Is there any device that my father can use that will wake him up when his levels go below 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L]? (1 Jan 2001)

219. I am a 37 year old female who has not been diagnosed with diabetes or hypoglycemia. I have had seizures since I was 14 years old without any determined cause. Is there a chance that hypoglycemia might be triggering my seizures? (1 Jan 2001)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts