Question:

From Florida, USA:

My 58 year old husband has type 2 diabetes. He has been switched from diet-controlled, to tablets with meals. He has had a great deal of trouble keeping his blood sugars in appropriate ranges. He goes to a major diabetes clinic, and has attended their lecture program, but he is looking for a "camp for adults" to help him learn/accept/adapt/reinforce by doing to the way his body now responds. He feels he is not properly focused. Intellectually, he accepts the diagnosis and life style changes but hasn't internalized them.

Are there week-long (or whatever) sessions/retreats/spa programs that help people with diabetes, as he put it, "get with the program"?

Answer:

Google.com has lots of suggestions, if you search under "diabetes camps for adults", but I sense they are mostly for young adults or adults accompanying children with diabetes. I might be worth browsing there or even contacting one or two.

Additional comments from Betty Brackenridge, diabetes dietitian:

The only options I know of are, unfortunately, more in the price range of "lifestyles of the rich and famous" than of a "camping" experience. For example, Canyon Ranch (both the site in the Berkshires and the one in Tucson, AZ) offer week-long and longer packages that support people in practicing an integrated (if somewhat atypical!) healthy lifestyle while in residence. Visits with nutritionists and exercise physiologists are part of the fare. The costs run to thousands of dollars per week. They have a great many people with type 2 diabetes who go through their program.

BB

DTQ-ONCEMRM200012162206