Question:

From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

My husband and son both have type 1 diabetes. I have been hearing wonderful things about taking herbs, how they balance out blood sugars and the side affects of kidney, eye damage, etc. Do you have any information regarding herbal treatments for diabetes?

Answer:

You can read a lot more about this in the transcripts from our two special chats on Herbs and Diabetes as well as in previous answers on Alternative Therapies and Explanations. In short, I don't think herbs are useful in young adult and childhood onset diabetes as in your husband and son where insulin deficiency is the main feature.

[Editor's comment: There have been some small studies that have suggested that some herbals might have some effect on decreasing blood sugar, but I'd also suggest you read Herbal remedies: There's no magic from the Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. Also, see Herbs and other Supplements at the Diabetes Monitor for more information. WWQ]

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations