Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

My 16 year old nephew is visiting from Mexico and has diabetes, I don't know what type, but he gets two insulin shots every day. However, they no longer seem to be as effective as the way they are supposed to. Can you refer me to a good doctor to see if he could get a prescription for something stronger?

Answer:

I am not familiar with physicians in your area. A good resource for you would be the pediatric endocrinology department at any Children's Hospital or Medical School. Most of the time, the treatment for diabetes in children and teens (presumably, type 1 diabetes) will include insulin. If he is having lots of high blood sugars, it easily could be because his insulin dose is incorrect and needs to be changed instead of adding a "stronger medicine".

Posted to Social Issues: Community Resources and Daily Care