Question:

From Goff, Kansas, USA:

My seven year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago. Yesterday, he got the flu vaccination, and afterwards his blood sugars ran high in the 290-320 mg/dl [16.1-17.8 mmol/L] range. I am curious if the vaccine could have caused this.

Answer:

The flu vaccine is a modified virus. So exactly what you described is likely a response to the body receiving the immunization. You should follow modified sick day rules or discuss this with your diabetes team. The same will likely occur with other immunizations including the flu booster shots that are scheduled.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA