From Midland, Michigan, USA:

My seven year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago. I had lots of problems with the school. After some meetings with school officials, and not getting the results that I wanted, I decided to home school my son. This has been lots of fun for both of us. Unfortunately, it has hard on the budget without me working. Is there any financial aid for families like ours, who have a child with type 1 diabetes child, and choose to stay home with that child to oversee care? I have been told by others that because diabetes is considered a disability, we might be eligible for some aid.

I am happy to hear that you are enjoying home schooling. However, you need to understand that was a choice that you consciously made. You do not explain what the difficulties with the school were, and what exactly prompted that decision. As far as I know, there are no financial resources to help you. There are laws to protect protect children receiving public education which school systems are bound by, and thousands of children with type 1 diabetes safely attend public schools every day.

If your only rationale for home schooling is that you were disappointed with what your son's school was willing to do to accommodate his needs, I suggest you review the Diabetes at School materials on this website and approach officials again with the assistance of your son's diabetes team.

Additional comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

I don't know of any money to stay home, but I do know there is considerable help to get the school to meet your child's needs. Look through this website, contact your local American Diabetes Association or Juvenile Diabetes Foundation chapter, and go after your rights.

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare and Social Issues: Community Resources