From North Richland Hills, Texas, USA:

Eight weeks ago, our 20 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. How common is this for a child this young? I had gestational diabetes and hypothyroidism while pregnant. Did this contribute to her condition?

Also, she seems to get ill easily since being diagnosed and refuses drink and food. No doctor has any easy answers for us, except to force food and drink. This is an impossible task. What can be done to make this easier on her and us? I try to get answers from her endocrine provider, but they are starting to make me feel incompetent by asking questions about adjusting her insulin needs. I am not comfortable with making changes on my own and have no support from the doctor.

I think you have a choice. First, you have to make it clear to your diabetes team that you are uncomfortable about making changes to your daughter's insulin doses, and that you need more support. If this isn't forthcoming then go somewhere else. Diabetes is not very common in the under twos, but is nonetheless very well recognised. Your illness during pregnancy didn't cause her diabetes but hypothyroidism is another of the group of autoimmune diseases which can 'run in families'.

[Editor's comment: It sounds like you need education about sick day management and insulin adjustment. I think you need to set up an appointment with a CDE to receive appropriate education. You might also review: sick day management on this site. SS]