Question:

From Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA:

My four year old daughter was showing signs of low blood sugar while staying her grandmother's house for a month. My mother-in-law tested her for a period of one week. Every morning before breakfast, my daughter's blood sugar was 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L], and right before lunch, it was about 70 mg/dl [3.9 mmol/L]. Her levels have never been over 72 mg/dl [4 mmol/L]and never under 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L]. She has added more sugar to her diet, but she still bottoms out at night. Her urine is very strong smelling, and she wets the bed a lot even though she has been trained for two years. I have made an appointment with the doctor, but it is not for 3 weeks. Is this something i should be very concerned with? Will she grow out of it? Is there anything I can do to keep her from getting so low during the night?

Answer:

Probably not any serious problem but you should ensure that your daughter has something starchy to eat before going to bed. The specialist may wish to test her blood glucose formally during a fast.