Question:

From Melbourne, Victoria, Australia:

I am 43 and have had insulin dependent diabetes for 12 years. For the last three weeks, the back of my left knee has been swollen, appearing to be retaining water. It is sore, but not so painful to send me to a physician. Should I worry?

Answer:

It is not clear that your problem with the left knee is related to your diabetes. However, as a general rule, any time you have loss of function or persistent pain, I would consider seeing a physician. These may be warning symptoms of problems which need medical attention. The goal would be the prevention of future problems.