Question:

From Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 12 year old son just passed his first year of diagnosis with type 1 diabetes. We were told he has insulin resistance (taking almost three times the amount for his weight and height) and was recently diagnosed with Graves' disease (along with the bulging eyes). Because he has had this many problems this early, do you think that it is a prelude of more to come? I am extremely worried for him.

Answer:

The autoimmune problems he has at present do not necessarily predict whether he will have more problems in the future. It certainly is very unfortunate, and also very unusual, for him to have diabetes and Graves' disease. It is interesting to know if he has typeá1 or typeá2 diabetes, as type 1 is more associated with thyroid disease, but more often with hypothyroidism.

JS

[Editor's comment: The insulin resistance problem may be due to the Graves' disease. It is possible that it will diminish once this is under control. However, your son is at an age where he is probably entering puberty. It is not usual for boys this age to be extremely insulin resistant, often requiring the amount of insulin your son is taking. SS]