Question:

I have read extensively on rebound, the dawn phenomenon, and hyperglycemia in the morning. Nowhere can I find an answer to my question, which is whether these phenomena are continuous or sometimes intermittent. It is hard to understand how they could be intermittent, meaning from day to day and week to week.

Answer:

All these phenomena can be intermittent, as insulin metabolism, insulin release and breakdown can vary. Also, our metabolic processes vary depending on the amount of exercise we have, what our emotional and anxiety levels are like, etc. All these processes affect the way our bodies use insulin, and so the way the insulin will work. We are not simple machines but very complicated beings, who are not very easy to predict.

JS

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA