From Danbury, Connecticut, USA:

My 12 year old daughter, who lives with her mom, has gained a lot of weight since our divorce (She now weighs 168 pounds). I have been concerned about her. I took her to an endocrinologist, and her mom followed up. They first put her on a thyroid hormone, and then added Glucophage [metformin, a pill for type 2 diabetes]. Does she now have diabetes? Did the obesity cause the thyroid problem?

No. It is possible that her dramatic increase in weight was partially caused by hypothyroidism, and that the weight gain then precipitated diabetes. Weight reduction may result in the requirement for diabetes drugs disappearing.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Thyroid