Question:

From Kincardine, Ontario, Canada:

My two year, three month old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost two weeks ago. He is still breastfeeding about twice a day but would gladly nurse more often. Do know of any studies that indicate increased breast milk would benefit his condition? I firmly believe he has diabetes due to his MMR vaccine which he was given at one year and resulted in a horrible reaction to. Do you know anything about naturopaths or homeopaths reversing the effects of a vaccine and whether or not it helped in controlling diabetes?

Answer:

I am sorry to be negative but there is no convincing evidence of any relationship between vaccination and diabetes. Breastfeeding has not been shown to be especially beneficial in diabetes, nor have any homeopathic therapies.

[Editor's comment: We have a lot of information about alternative therapies. Please see: Ask the Diabetes Team: Alternative Therapies and Explanations. SS]

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations