Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

My 82 year old mother has metastatic lung cancer and is expected to live less than a year. She has diabetes and is trying to keep the levels in a tight range of 115-140 mg/dl [6.4- 7.8 mmol/L] which requires a series of six shots of different types and carbohydrate counting. I know what to expect with low sugar, but what to expect with high counts is a problem. What is wrong with the ranges being 140-200 mg/dl [7.8-11.1 mmol/L] during the day? For the time she has left why not let the ranges vary?

Answer:

You raise a valid point. Blood sugar control should be good enough to prevent infection. However, I would suggest you speak to her physician regarding these treatment goals.

Posted to Tight Control