Question:

From Cleveland, Ohio, USA:

My 10 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age seven. According to a recent answer given on the Ask the Diabetes Team page, it is likely that he no longer has antibodies (he tested positive for them at diagnosis). Therefore, is it safe to give him Echinacea to boost his immune system during cold season? I have avoided using this with him in the past, because of the antibodies. P.S. He had a flu shot six weeks ago, so I am not worried about influenza.

Answer:

I have no idea what Echinacea will do, but I don't expect it will be harmful.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations