From LaGrange, Georgia, USA:

My 12 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago. He has trouble with very dry scalp and skin. I would like to know if there is a recommended shampoo product.

There is no specific shampoo recommended for people with diabetes. There are many skin conditions that may benefit from a special shampoo. Your son's pediatrician may be your best resource for determining if there is a product that may help you.

Additional comments from Betty Brackenridge, diabetes dietitian:

Especially dry skin and scalp could be the result of high blood sugars, as they are extremely dehydrating. If your son's blood sugars are not under reasonable control as yet, talk with your team about what the options might be for improving overall control. That would, of course, have many benefits beyond perhaps improving the dry skin. In the meantime, encouraging the consumption of water and other caffeine-free, calorie-free beverages (for example, Crystal Light and most clear diet sodas) might be helpful if this is, indeed, connected to a glucose control challenge.