Question:

From England:

My 10 year old son was diagnosed three years ago with type 1 diabetes. He was also found to have celiac antibodies in his blood. After a biopsy was taken and everything was normal, he was not put onto a gluten-free diet. I must say I was pleased about that at the time. More celiac blood tests have be done and were clear until the last one, two months ago. It has been decided to just keep a close eye on his growth at the moment with regular, follow-up blood tests. Do you think this is okay?

He has also be having very moody days and has been quite violent to me and his younger brother. We are at the moment eliminating red colourings from his diet as well as caffeine as a test to see if there is link. Could the violent moods and the celiac antibodies be connected? Please help as I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Answer:

I must tell you I honestly do not know the answer to your question. Mood swings come with glucose swings, that I do know. It may be some underlying need to psychological counseling, certainly try this. We know that the antibody tests are not the way to diagnose celiac disease and that the biopsy is the true diagnostic test. I see children with positive antibodies and negative gut biopsies. I would believe the biopsy.