From Pierrefonds, Quebec, Canada:

I am 13 years old and was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I am gradually adjusting to the carbo counting, and the certain restrictions. Could you tell me some free foods?

Hopefully you won't find that carbohydrate counting is too restrictive. Actually, nowadays, there is much more choice with regard to healthy eating with diabetes. No food is off limits, even sweets can be worked in -- just monitor portion sizes and use them as occasional treats. There is a good list of "free foods" in the Exchange Lists for Meal Planning booklet from the American Diabetes Association. Ask your diabetes team or dietitian for a copy. With carb counting, many protein and fats are considered "free" because of the minimal effect on blood sugars, but they must be monitored for their caloric effect.