Question:

From Martinez, Georgia, USA:

I am a 39 year old female and have had type 1 diabetes since I was 13 years of age. I have been on an insulin pump for two and one-half years. My blood sugars are pretty much under control with the usual high or low now and again.

I have mood swings which usually occur when my sugar has been elevated. Could this be related to fluctuating blood sugars? Do you have any answers and/or suggestions as to whether this could be the case and, if so, how to deal with it?

Answer:

Yes! Mood swings are associated with fluctuations in blood sugars and can be extreme with extreme blood sugars values. It only highlights the importance of better blood sugar control so as to avoid them. The best way to treat your blood sugars is to consult with your diabetes care treatment team.

[Editor's comment: Your situation might well be clarified by monitoring sugar levels continuously for several days to try to sort out what's happening in more detail. See The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System. Another possibility is that the mood swings are related to other hormonal changes. In accord with Dr. Lane, you need to consult your diabetes care team to sort out this issue. SS]