From Staunton, Virginia, USA:

I have been getting extreme shakes on an average of once a week. I have a history of panic attacks, and the doctor put me on medication to control this. The shakes do not come on as severe, but they do happen along with nausea. The doctor had me go in for a screening for sugar and called to tell me I had borderline diabetes, to watch my sugar intake and diet, and to have regular exercise.

My mother, who has had diabetes for sometime, suggested I see another doctor. She said there is no such thing as borderline diabetes. You either have diabetes or don't, but it can be controlled in several ways. I personally feel my sugar drops, and I get scared and go into panic attacks. Drinking orange juice or some soda helps to relieve the shakes. Is there borderline diabetes? Would you suggest I see another doctor?

You are to be congratulated for seeking the advice and counsel of your mom and another physician. Run, run to someone who knows about diabetes care and has a diabetes educator available to help you learn all you can to be the manager of your diabetes. Borderline diabetes can be compared to borderline pregnancy. No such thing, huh?

Your "panic attacks" could very well indeed be a quick drop in your blood sugar. You need to learn about food management, not food avoidance, and how to treat low blood sugars when they happen.

I wish you great success as you begin this diabetes journey. I encourage you to seek out people who really "know" what diabetes is and all the possibilities of treatment so they can guide you to be the manager of your own diabetes.