From Saginaw, Michigan, USA:

My 22 month old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes at one year of age. Her sugars are in the 200s and 300s mg/dl [11.1-16.7 mmol/L] most of the time. I'm beginning to notice skin eruptions on her buttocks, arms and legs, that look like little boils that never erupt. Is this a common problem with children who have diabetes?

I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean. If they are tiny, a millimeter or so, then it could be some inflammation in hair follicles. If larger, like little nodules, then these are sometimes seen such in people with diabetes, but I've never seen them in little children. Might be worth a dermatology consult.

[Editor's comment: These may be a result of local allergic reaction to alcohol, latex or silicone in the syringe, or the insulin. I agree with Dr. Deeb that a referral to dermatologist is a good idea.

It sounds like your daughter's control could be improved. If she has not been seen by a pediatric diabetes team, I suggest you make an appointment to do so. SS]