Question:

From Egg Harbor, New Jersey, USA:

I am a 12 year old who was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Can I still take vitamin C (500mg) and B-12 (250mcg)? I lift weights and take whey protein, one tablespoon a day and shake in a cup of skim milk. Is this okay? Which are the best fresh fruits to eat? Is fructose any good?

Answer:

It sounds like you have some very interesting questions about what you eat, and how it will affect your diabetes. You can still have all of the items you asked about. The amount of carbohydrates (sugars) in those foods is the most likely part that could affect your diabetes and cause higher blood sugars if you don't take a rapid acting insulin such as Humalog to help your body properly use those nutrients. You may want to sit down and talk with a dietitian who can answer all of your questions in detail and help you to understand how various nutrients can affect your diabetes. Make sure you talk to your parents about your questions too!