From Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA:

I am 54 years old, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years ago, and I am still not controlled. My diet habits stink, and I want to do better at eating the right amounts of food. My doctor doesn't know of any books that are detailed for daily amounts. Are there any books out that tell someone how many carbs, fats and sugars, and the amount of sodium a person with diabetes can have at each meal? That would may it easier to add them up at the end of the day.

Unfortunately, there are no books that will substitute for an individualized nutrition counseling session with a registered dietitian. Ask you doctor for a referral to a dietitian who specializes in diabetes to help you develop a meal plan conducive to your lifestyle. An RD can also suggest healthier food choices and ways of eating.

The Exchange List for Meal Planning booklet, available from the American Diabetes Association, is a good reference for types of foods and portion sizes once a distribution of carbs, protein, and fat has been determined.