From Anchorage, Alaska, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 18 years and am now on the insulin pump. I have peripheral neuropathy and take Neurontin [gabapentin, an anti-seizure drug that frequently helps chronic pain]. Is it possible to eventually go off of the Neurontin as my diabetes improves?

Neurontin therapy is aimed at symptom relief from paresthesias caused by the neuropathy. The paresthesias should improve with better glucose control so that institution of insulin pump therapy may have some relief by itself. it would be reasonable to try to wean the Neurontin off at various intervals. I would suggest speaking with your diabetes care physician regarding this therapeutic change.