From Portsmouth, Ohio, USA:

My five year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. We are running into a lot of financial problems. Is there any possibility of getting her on a social security supplemental income?

In California, we have California Children's Services (a state program) for children who are chronically ill. Check with your local Children's Hospital social services to get more information.

Additional comments from David Mendosa, A Writer on the Web:

I don't know about social security, but you might want to look at Financial Help and Free Drugs. I wrote these articles to try to pull together all I know about financial help.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

You should talk about your financial problems with your diabetes team. They will know what resources are available for you -- or can refer you to a social worker in the area who can help.

[Editor's comment: Children who have diabetes are usually not eligible for social security unless they ahve complications. However, in most states, they do qualify for Medicaid which covers diabetes treatment. I would suggest working with a social worker in your daughter's diabetes program to assist you in finding local available resources for you. If you do not have a social worker, contact your state's Medicaid office directly. SS]

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs and Social Issues: Community Resources