Question:

From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

I have newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes. I would like to know how many food exchanges are you allowed in a day. I have a lot of books on food for people with diabetes, but they all tell you how much food is in an exchange, but not how many you are allowed.

Answer:

The "right" amount of food is a very individual thing -- not something that can be identified on the basis of your simply being a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. If possible, your best course of action is to work with a diabetes educator dietitian. Such a person should be able and willing to help you find your best approach to food management. The key skills you need to learn at this point are carbohydrate counting and blood sugar monitoring.

The results of blood glucose monitoring before and after meals reveal how various food choices and amounts are working for you. If you can't control blood sugars while eating a satisfying and healthy diet (i.e.,not starving yourself), it's a sign that your provider needs to explore other medication choices or doses.

I'd also highly recommend that you put efforts into getting physically active. Walking and other active pursuits are tremendously valuable both for helping glucose control and for your overall health.

The most important priorities are:

1. Glucose control
  2. Getting fit
  3. Eating a nutritionally rich diet

You might try signing on for our Type 2 Virtual Support Group that meets on-line at 9 pm Eastern on the fourth Wednesday of each month.

BB