Question:

From Irving, Texas, USA:

My 11 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes and is also on Ritalin. Her behavior is bad and she doesn't listen. Does all this play a major role in her behavior? Please help me. I am a single parent, and I am getting worried.

Answer:

Children who use Ritalin do so because they have something called Attention Deficit Disorder. It is a medication that helps children pay attention. Your child might have some difficulties managing her diabetes if her ADD is not well managed, as she may forget to take her shots or test her blood sugars. However, her diabetes should not be affecting her attention.

If you are concerned about your daughter's behavior, then I strongly encourage you to find a mental health practitioner who is an expert in working with children with ADD. Your daughter's pediatrician should be able to recommend someone to you. Your school should also be able to recommend someone for you.

While you are getting help for your daughter's behavior, be sure that you are doing all of her blood sugar tests and all of her insulin shots. She can not be responsible for her diabetes care if her behavior and her attention are problematic.

JWB

Posted to Behavior and ADHD