Question:

From Westland, Michigan, USA:

I was just told I have type 2 diabetes. My three month blood sugar level was 200mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. They did another test, I ate, and, two hours later my level was about 160 mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L]. Why the difference in the number? Is this blood sugar level something to be concerned about?

The doctor told me to eat no sugars. What would happen if I did? Is this level high enough to take oral medication?

Answer:

Nowadays, three morning blood sugar levels above 126mg/dl [7mmol/L] are enough to make the diagnosis of diabetes, irrespective of post-load sugar levels, either during a glucose tolerance test or after a standard meal. Furthermore, further investigation might be aimed to assess whether you have typeá1 or true typeá2 diabetes. This is very important in choosing the right medication (insulin or oral drug) in addition to the meal plan.

Sugar is a natural product that is not harmful per se but must be included in a proper diet prepared by a dietitian involved in the care of people with diabetes. Ask your doctor for further help.

Additional comments from Betty Brackenridge, diabetes dietitian:

I'd like to stress the importance of getting further information about nutrition management. Limiting or avoiding sugars alone is of absolutely no help in controlling blood sugars, since there are countless foods that you eat daily that contribute to blood sugar. Many of the starches - such as potatoes, bread, pasta, rice and so on -- are even better at raising blood sugars than sugar is. These are healthful foods. Eliminating them is not an option for most people. You need to learn how to manage them. Please insist on a referral for diabetes education and/or a consultation with a dietitian who specializes in diabetes. Ask that person about carbohydrate management.

BB

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Type 2