From Denver, Colorado, USA:

I am 31 weeks into my first pregnancy, and I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes about 2 weeks ago. I have been controlling it with diet so far. I am doing really well overall, but I am concerned because my fasting blood sugars have been 90-95 mg/dl [5-5.3mmol/L] for the last five days. I have been eating a banana and drinking a glass of milk around 9 or 10 pm before I go to bed. Is there something I can change in my evening snack to avoid such high fasting numbers?

Your should talk with your dietitian about decreasing calories at bedtime or even eliminating the snack altogether. As the pregnancy progresses, the degree of insulin resistance will increase. Hopefully, the diet will continue to work well.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Meal Planning, Food and Diet