Question:

From Ozark, Missouri, USA:

I am 25 weeks pregnant and had a blood sugar of 148 mg/dl [8.2 mmol/L] on my one-hour test. Ten or so minutes after I drank the solution, I started to get very warm, my head started to feel ''swimmy'', and I started to have mood swings. By mood swings, I mean inability to cope with the external stimulation -- i.e., people talking, the children in the room playing, the sound of my husband's voice. Then approximately one hour after the solution I started to get sick to my stomach. Then, when I finally got to eat, although I felt like I was starving, I could eat very little. I forced myself to eat anyway, and not more than an hour later I was very hungry again.This pattern persisted through the rest of the day.

Could this be a sign that I might have gestational diabetes even if the three-hour test comes back okay? Should I say something if I feel this way during the three- hour or is this all in my mind?

Answer:

Many women find the glucose screen test to be unpleasant. Getting such a high sugar load can cause nausea and some of the other symptoms that you describe. However, if the three-hour test is normal, then you do not have gestational diabetes.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes