Question:

From Los Lunas, New Mexico, USA:

My son was just diagnosed a month ago and is two and a half years old. Because of his age, I am interested in an alternative to having to poke his fingers several times a day, and I read something about a "laser" for checking blood glucose levels. Is there any such thing, and how accurate is it?

Answer:

There is a laser lancet device available called the Lasette. However, my suggestion for your son is the FreeStyle meter which uses only 3 ul of blood from the forearm and is essentially painless. Please look at Blood Glucose Meters for a more extensive review of currently available products.

[Editor's comment: You might also be referring to the GlucoWatch which will be available some time this year. However, this device is only for use by people over 16 years of age, although clinical trials in children are currently underway. SS]