Question:

From Newington, Connecticut, USA:

My eight year old daughter has had diabetes for four years. She frequently gets severe stomachaches and headaches. She tested negative for celiac disease and has normal bowel movements. Have any other studies been done? Have studies comparing different insulin brands / types with stomachache reports been done?

Answer:

I haven't seen any brand or type of insulin cause any difference in symptoms.

[Editor's comment: You might try eliminating dairy products from her diet to see if lactose intolerance is the culprit. Another possibility is that, sometimes, symptoms such as this can be manifestations of a psychological problem, often related to school phobias or difficulties in dealing with diabetes. If your daughter's pediatrician is unable to find a physical reason for her symptoms, I would suggest a referral to a mental health specialist experienced in diabetes, to help sort out the problem. SS]