From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada:

I had gestational diabetes with all my pregnancies. I test my sugar regularly, and have an annual two-hour glucose tolerance test. My results have been just over 8.3 mmol/L {149.4 mg/dl] at two hours. I tested my son's sugar using my meter, and found that his sugar, two hours after eating, was 8.9 mmol/L [160 mg/dl]. The next morning, I tested his fasting glucose which was was 4.5 mmol/L [81 mg/dl]. His doctor she said there was no worry as long as his fasting glucose didn't go over 7 mmol/L [126 mg/dl]. Should I be concerned with the higher test of 8.9 [160 mg/dl]?

I wouldn't be too concerned about the two-hour reading. Children don't always follow the text books, and occasionally they can have slightly higher readings. It would be worthwhile keeping an eye on your son, and, if you are concerned, talk it over with his doctor.

[Editor's comment: Since you have a meter, it's tempting to check everybody's blood sugar! However, if their sugars are normal, or nearly so, the question comes up: now what? My response is to then stop the fingerpoking, except during acute illnesses. If there's an acute illness, and if there's a genetic predisposition to developing diabetes, then checking the blood sugar during the time of acute physical stress may uncover unexpectedly high sugars, which would be then followed by a phone call to your doctor's office to get confirmatory testing. WWQ]