From Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA:

I am a 27 year old female, and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about four months ago. I had gestational diabetes. with my daughter who is now two. I am currently on a 2000 calorie diet, and two different pills for diabetes. My period is a week late, and I feel nauseated and tired. I feel pregnant, but home pregnancy tests answer negative. Could I be pregnant? Could my medication interfere with a positive test? Has there been any further research done on these pills for diabetes? If I am pregnant, we want it to be healthy.

The home pregnancy tests are usually accurate, but you may want to go to your doctor's office for a blood test. As far as I know, the medication should not alter the results of the test. With the exception of a recent article on glyburide, oral hypoglycemic agents are not recommended in pregnancy. So, if you are pregnant, then you will have to be switched over to insulin.

Posted to Family Planning